The church is just near the entrance to Borthwick castle and is a lovely peaceful spot, "off the beaten track". There is a visitors' book in the church containing the names of many, many Borthwicks who have visited over the years.
The Borthwick effigies.
In May 1992 the description placed with these in the church was as follows.
The effigies are said to be those of the first Lord and Lady Borthwick and date from the first half of the 15th Century, the time of the building of Borthwick Castle and of the South (or Borthwick) aisle of the church. The riginal rsting place of the effigies is not known for sure but from the beginning of the 17th Century until the building of the present church in the 1860s they lay in the north side of the apse. In the process of rebuilding, the effigies and the aumbry were then placed in the South aisle where they lay until removed recently for renovation. Restoraioon was carried out in 1987 by a firm in England at a cost of just over £7000, met by a grant from the historic buildings Council (£5000) and the Radcliffe trust (£1500). Where they will ultimately lie in the church is yet to be decided."
Gravestones in the Churchyard
Click here for photos of Borthwick Castle
Return to Borthwick MIs in Scotland
Ann Carson. All rights reserved.
Page: Borthwick Church, Scotland
Created; 5 August 2001
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids