Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

http://www.parl.ns.ca/placenames/pictouw.html

 

THORBURN, Pictou County

        This community is located about four miles south-west of Merigomish Harbour.  A mine was opened here in 1872 by the Vale Coal Iron and Manufacturing Company of Montreal on land explored by four members of the McBean family.  Houses for workmen and offices were built and equipment installed.  In 1886 the name was changed by act of Legislature from Vale Colliery to "Thorburn" from "Thor," the Scandinavian names God of Thunder and "Burn" a Scottish name for brook or small river.  

        In 1873 a six mile railway was built to connect with the Intercolonial Railway at New Glasgow and a shipping wharf was prepared at Pictou Landing.  In 1874 the colliery actually got into production and shipped 38,000 tons of coal.

        On May 3, 1883, an accident at the colliery killed five and injured four.  On February 11, 1884, thirteen men were accidentally killed.  Thirteen were killed in the February 10, 1885, explosion in the old pit.  In 1962 the only major coal operation was being carried on at the McBean Colliery, owned and operated by Acadian Coal Co., Ltd., in continuous operation since 1946.  

        A Presbyterian Church was opened on December 17, 1876.  St. Anne's Church, replacing a small church erected by Dr. McGregor, was begun in 1891 and completed in 1892.  St. Anne's Memorial Hall was built about 1947; it was destroyed by fire on February 3, 1961.

        A new school was built about 1882.  Another new school was under construction in 1952.

        A way office was established at Vale Colliery on November 1, 1873, with Francis Lane as postmaster.  A new Federal Post Office was completed June 9, 1965.  A Miners Union Society Hall was completed in December, 1883.

        Population in 1956 was 837.

  

 

GREENWOOD, Pictou County

        This rural area is located about five miles south-west of the head of Merigomish Harbour.  It may have been named after the Greenwood Coal Company of New Glasgow which operates mines in the area.  The land was granted to John and Donald McLean about 1820 but settlement probably didn't begin to any extent until 1872-1873, when the opening of the coal mines by the Vale Coal Iron and Manufacturing Company of Montreal led to the origin of the settlement of Thorburn.

        A new school was built in 1891.  Another new four room school was constructed in 1954.

        The main industry in 1952 was the Greenwood #2 Colliery owned and operated by the Greenwood Coal Company of New Glasgow employing about fifty-four men and producing around twenty thousand tons of coal in 1960.

        Population in 1956 was 393.

  

TELFORD,
Pictou County
       This rural area is located about three miles south-east of the mouth of Sutherlands River near the north shore of Nova Scotia.  It is said to have been named after the early settlers.  The land was part of the Wentworth Grant of 1765, but settlement probably began in the area sometime between 1790 and 1820.
        Farming is the main industry.
        Population in 1956 was 54.

 

 

COALBURN, Pictou County

        This rural area is located near McLellans Brook about half-way between East River and Merigomish Harbour.  "Burn" is a Scottish word for a brook or small river.  The first part of a the name was prompted by the primary product of the New Glasgow-Thorburn area for nearly a century.

        Sophia Fraser emigrated from Scotland in 1802 with three children and two grandchildren and settled at McLellans Brook in 1803.  She and her son, James, built a house and barn.  John McKay came from Scotland in 1805 and settled here soon afterwards.  Duncan MacDonald who emigrated in 1804 was settled on his lot by 1827 and received a grant of land in 1828.  James Fraser received a grant to the north in 1809.

        In 1873 a six-mile railway was built between the Vale Coal Iron and Manufacturing Company mines at Thorburn and New Glasgow.  Coalburn station was established on this line.

        Farming is the basic industry.

        Population in 1956 was 160. 

 

 

LINACY, Pictou County

        This rural area, named after an early settler, is located two miles from New Glasgow on the east side of the old No. 4 Highway.

        Among the settlers were John Cameron, Hugh Fraser, Donald Grant, Joseph Hull, Edward Linacy, Evan McDonald and James McKay, farmers, also James and Henry McDonald, Spencer MacDonald, James MacMillan, John T. Stewart and William Stewart.

        One of the early physicians was Dr. J. P. Grant, McGill University, 1895.

        Farming is the basic industry.

        Population in 1956 was 480.

 

 

MCLELLAN MOUNTAIN, Pictou County

        This rural area is located on McLellan Brook about four lands River in north central Nova Scotia.  It was renamed from the brook which flows nearby which received its name from the first settler at its mouth, John McLennan.  Settlement probably began here around 1801.  There were at least seventeen settlers on McLellan Mountain in 1806.

        A frame Kirk was erected here about 1818.

        A school was built in 1818 and John McKay was school master in that year.

        A postal way office was in operation from 1855 to 1863.

        John and Donald Fraser erected a saw and grist mill here about 1797.  Farming is the basic industry.

 

 

MCPHERSON'S MILLS, Pictou County

        This rural area is located on Upper Sutherland River.  John McPherson had erected flour and oat mills ten miles from New Glasgow toward Merigomish by December 15, 1823.  From this the place name evolved.  Possibly an alternate named used by the Post Office Department was Sutherland River Mills in which locaity [sic] a way office was established in 1859.

        A school-house was completed and opened in late 1874 or early 1875.

        In 1952 the only grist mill left in the county was still in operation under the management of A. B. Dickie.

        Farming and lumbering are the basic industries.

        Population in 1956 was 124.

 

 

MCLELLAN BROOK, Pictou County

        This rural area is located on McLellans Brook about four miles south-east of Stellarton.  It was named after John McLennan who settled at the mouth of the brook some time between1784 and 1789.  Through the years the surname became changed to McLellan and the village name became McLellans Brook.  Kenneth McLeod and John Cassidy were also early settlers prior to 1789.  Sophia Fraser and her son, James, settled here about 1803.  A postal way office was established in 1862.

        Farming is the basic industry.

 

 

 

MEIKLEFIELD, Pictou County

        This rural area is located about six miles south of Merigomish Harbour.  It was probably named after early settlers.  James Meikle, a native of Gallowayshire, Scotland, came to Nova Scotia in 1820 and shortly afterwards settled in the Blue Mountain District possibly in this area.

        A new school-house was completed at Meikles Settlement, Wentworth Grant, in December, 1881.

        In February, 1883, a post office was established with Adam McInnes as postmaster.

        Farming is the basic industry.

 

 

BLUE MOUNTAIN, Pictou County

        This rural area is located about three miles north of Sutherland Lake.  The name is descriptive and was given by William Ross who settled here in 1818.

        William Urquhart of Glen Urquhart, Scotland, settled here soon after 1815.  John and Donald Munro settled in this district about 1817 and Roderick McDougald arrived in 1838.

        A Presbyterian Church was built about 1834 and was sold and taken down when Welch Free Church was opened November 5, 1854.  Welch Church was not completed until April 30, 1858.  A new church was built in 1906.

        A new school was completed in 1877.

        A postal way office was established in 1848

        Farming is the basic industry.

        Population in 1956 was 146.

Westville, Pictou County

The history of Westville