Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF DEVON & CORNWALL 1914

(Part 3, Cornwall & Advertisements)

Page 52-53 BREAGE

(Transcription by Althea Johnson. Check originals for confirmation)

 

Breage is a parish near the coast, on the road between Helston and Marazion, 3 1/2 miles west from Helston terminal station on a branch of the Great Western Railway, 7 from Marazion, 8 south from Gwinear and 9 ½ miles from Penzance, in the Truro division of the County, hundred and petty sessional division of Kerrier (west), Helston union and county court district, rural deanery of Kerrier, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Breage is an ancient building of stone and granite, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of seven arches, transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower, surmounted by four pinnacles and containing a clock and one bell, dated 1771: in the north transept are portions of the old carved oak roof, with elaborate corbels and beams: the east windows of the chancel and south aisle are memorials respectively to Caroline Isabella Wilson 1846-54 and Elizabeth Wilson, 1780-1866; the west window of the same aisle commemorates the marriage of His late  Majesty King Edw. VII and Queen Alexandra, March 10th 1863, and was erected by the parishioners; there are monuments to the Coode family, 1671-94, and others of modern date: Margaret (Blagge), Wife of Sidney, first Earl of Godolphin K.G. was buried here, September 27th 1678; in the south aisle are three helmets, two bearing the Godolphin crest; the church affords 300 sittings; in the churchyard, near the south entrance, stands the head of an ancient cross: the church was thoroughly restored and reseated with open benches in 1890- 1891, at a cost of  £4,000. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1607; marriages and burials, 1559.  The living is a vicarage, with Germoe annexed, joint net yearly value £455, with residence and 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1907 by the Rev. Hugh Robert Coulthard M.A. of Christ’s College, Cambridge, and rural dean of Kerrier.

There are Wesleyan chapels at St. Breage, Carleen, Ashton, Trenwheal and Keneggie; and United Methodist chapels at Churchtown, Herland Cross, Ashton and Rinsey. In this parish is Godolphin Hill, 495 feet, and Tregoning Hill, 596 feet above the sea level; on the summit of the latter are the remains of an entrenchment, measuring about 106 by 92 yards; on the western declivity of the hill is a well, and part of its southern base is dotted with tumuli; along the cliffs at Methleigh are many graves of bodies washed in by the sea; and at Trewavas Head stands a singular columnar rock, known as “the Bishop.”  Breage was once a prosperous mining centre, but little or no tin mining or streaming is now carried on.  Foote’s charity, of £8 8s. yearly, is distributed as follows:- £2 2s to the school; and £2 2s. for the poor, and £4 4s. to the parish of Germoe; there is also a sum of £7 16s. given by the Duke of Leeds for poor widows of this parish. The Duke of Leeds, Lord Churston, Maj.-Gen John Jago-Trelawny, of Goldrenick, and Capt. Richard Carlyon Coode, of Polapit Tamar, are lords of the manor and principal landowners.  The soil is light; subsoil, granite.  The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats.  The area is 7,257 acres of land, 9 of water and 121 of foreshore; rateable value, £9,492; the population in 1911 was 2,343 in the civil and 2,017 in the ecclesiastical parish..

 

Sexton, Herbert Rogers

Constable in charge, William Quintrell.

 

RINSEY is a village on the sea coast, 2 miles south-west; TREW, 1 mile north; CARLEEN, or CAERLEON, 1 ½ miles north; KENEGGIE, 4 miles west; PENGERSICK, 3 miles west, is the site of an ancient castle, built in the 16th century, and formerly the residence of the Millytons; most of the building is now ruinous, but a battlemented tower of three stages (temp. Hen. VIII.) still remains; ASHTON is 1 mile west from Breage; other villages in this parish are HENDRA,  2 west-south-west, TREVERVAS, 2 west-south-west, and HERLAND, 2 north-north-west; PORTHLEVEN, 2 ½ south-south-east, is a fishing village, partly in this parish and partly in Sithney.  Full particulars of this place are given under the letter P.

 

POST & T. OFFICE – Miss Anna Olive Nicholas, sub-postmistress. Letters through Helston, arrive at 9 a.m & 2.35 p.m.; dispatched at 10.45am & 4.10 p.m. No delivery on Sundays. Porthleven, 2 ½ miles distant,  is the nearest money order office.

ASHTON SUB-OFFICE – Miss Bessie KING, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive 9 a.m.& 2.45 p.m. from Helston; dispatched 10.40 a.m. & 3.50 p.m., no delivery on Sundays. Porthleven is the nearest money order & Breage the nearest telegraph office 1 mile distant. 

Wall Letter Box, Coach & Horses, Keneggie, cleared at 3.30 p.m.

 

PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS:-

These schools are controlled by the Helston District Education Committee; William  Sweet, Helston, clerk; Thomas Bowden, Wheal Vor, attendance officer

Wheal Vor (mixed), for 140 children: average attendance, 64. Miss Winnie Adams, mistress

 St. Breage Church Town; average attendance, 148; William Pidgeon, master.

.

CARRIERS – William Arthur James, to Penzance, tues, thurs. &  sat.; Thomas Tregear, to Helston, wed. & sat.; Penzance, thurs. & Redruth, Friday.

 

(Marked thus + should be addressed Marazion )

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

 

Coulthard Rev. Hugh Robert M.A.

Vicar & rural dean, The Parsonage

Hosking Miss

Church Town

Pidgeon William

Sunny cottage

Polglase William

Church Town

Stephens Henry

Church Town

Trounce Miss

Church Town

Williams Miss

Church Town

COMMERCIAL

 

Barnes Thomas

Queen’s Arms P.H., Church Town

Beare Thos.

Shoe ma., Church Town

Beckerleg Elizabeth (Mrs)

Shopkpr, Rinsey Cross

Beckerleg Thos.

Dairyman, Trevervas

Bennett Paul

Farmer, Tolmennor

Blight Frank

Farmer, Trevena

Breage Granite Quarry Co. (Arthur Eustice)

Purser & Manager

Breage Institute (Saml. Harry, Sec.)

Church Town

Buckett Thomas

Farmer, Rinsey

+Coast Guard Station (Board of Trade rocket apparatus No. 276)

William J. Noad ?, chief boatman in charge, Prussia Cove

Cock Wm

Trelawney’s Arms P.H. Trew

Eustice Edmund Truscott

Temperance hotel, Ashton

Eustice Loveday (Mrs)

Shpkpr, Ashtn

Gilbert John Hy.

Farmer, Trevorian

+Grylls Mines Limited

James Treeby Barratt, manager, Keneggie

Gundry Jas. Wearne

Brick ma., Trew

Harry Joseph

Blacksmith, Church Tn

Harry Jsph. Wm.

Blacksmith, Ashton

Harry Wm. Henry

Shopkeeper, Ashton

Hosken Fredk

Ingleton, Frmr, Penbro

Hosking Edwin

Farmer, Trevena

James Sophia (Mrs)

Farmer, Trevena

James William

Farmer, Trevervas & Leseaves

James William Arthur

Jobmaster & Carrier, Ashton

Johns James

Farmer, Rinsey

Joyce John Adams

Wheelwright, Church Town

King Edwin

Farmer, Pengersick

King Wm.

Drapr & Gro, Church Town

Kitto Christopher

Farmer, Hendra

Kitto Fras. (Mrs)

Farmer, Pengersick

+Kitto Mary Ann (Mrs)

Shopkeeper, Keneggie

+Lanyon William John

Market gardener, Sunnyvale

Marks Edwin

Shopkeeper, Ashton

+Marks Henry

Farmer, Keneggie

Matthew Francis John

Farmer, Tranno

Matthews William

Farmer, Colvory

Mollard Stephen Alfred

Market gardener & rate collector, Carmeal

Nicholas Anna Olive (Miss)

Stationer, Post Office

Oliver John

Butcher,Ashton

Pascoe Richard Thomas J.

Grocer, Church Town

Penrose William & Son

Farmers, Trequean & Trewavas

Perry John Moyses

Farmer, assistant overseer & Registrar of births & deaths for sub-districts of Breage sub-district, Helston union

+Phillips Bros.

Farmers, Keneggie

Prout Peter Horton

Shopkeeper, Rinsey Cross

Richards Alfred

Farmer, Pellor

Richards Jane (Mrs)

Farmer, Little Methleigh

Richards John

Farmer, Methleigh

Richards Joseph

Farmer, Trevalence

Richards Thomas Mitchell

Farmer, Treworlas

Richards Thomas William

Farmer, Higher Pentreath

+Richards William

Farmer, Keneggie

Rodda Herbert

Coach & Horses P.H., Keneggie

Rowe John

Carter, Church Town

Sampson Thomas

Farmers, Hendra

Sampson Trevenen

Farmer, Trevervas

Stephens James

Farmer, Tremearne

Stevenett John C.

Shoe maker

+Thomas Hy. Davey

Farmer, Keneggie

Toll John Henry

Farmer, Trevervas

Toll Simon Harry

Farmer, Pengersick

Toulson Mary E. E. (Mrs)

Lion & Lamb P.H., Ashton

Tregear William

Farmer, Pentreath

Treloar Jn.

Shopkpr, Church Town

Tripp Arthur

Farmer, Hendra

Tripp Thos. Hy.

Farmer, Trevervas

Tyacke John

Farmer, Carleen

Waters Bert

Farmer, Ashton

Webb Benjamin Vivian

Shoe Maker, Church Town

Williams Frank

Farmer, Rosemaber

Williams John Jas.

Farmer, Sethnoe

Williams Jn. Kitto

Grocer, Troon row

Wills Sarah Martin (Mrs)

Farmer, Tregew

Young Harry Lightwood

Carpenter, Church Town