Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

KELLY’S DIRECTORY of CORNWALL 1893

Page 1047-1048 BREAGE

(Transcription by Althea Johnson. Check originals for confirmation)

 

Breage is a parish near the coast, on the road between Helston and Marazion, 3 miles west from Helston terminal station on a branch of the Great Western Railway, 7 east from Marazion, 8 south from Gwinear, in the Truro division of the County, hundred and petty sessional division of Kirrier (west), Helston union and county court district, rural deanery of Kirrier, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Breage is an ancient building of stone and granite, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of seven arches, transepts, south porch, and an embattled western tower, surmounted by four pinnacles and containing a clock and 2 bells, dated 1831 and 1771: in the north transept are portions of the old carved oak roof, with elaborate corbels and beams: the east windows of the chancel and south aisle are memorials respectively to Caroline Isabella Wilson 1846-54 and Elizabeth Wilson, 1780-1866; the west window of the same aisle commemorates the marriage of T.R.H. the Prince and Princess of Wales, March 10th 1863, and was erected by the parishioners; there are monuments to the Coode family, 1671-94, and others of modern date: Margaret (Blague), Wife of Sidney, first Earl of Godolphin K.G.? was buried here, September 27th 1678;in the south aisle are three helmets, two bearing the Godolphin crest; there are 300 sittings; in the churchyard, near the south entrance, stands the head of an ancient cross: the church was thoroughly restored and reseated with open benches in 1891, at a cost of  £4,000. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1607; marriages and burials, 1559.  The living is a vicarage, with that of Germoe annexed, Average vicarial tithe rent-charge £466, joint net yearly value £477, with residence and 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Jocelyn Barnes M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford. 

There is a Mission church at Ashtown. There are Wesleyan chapels at S. Breage, Carleen, Ashtown, Hendra, Trenwheal and Keneggie; Bible Christian chapels at Churchtown, Herland Cross and Ashtown; and Free Methodist chapels at Ashtown and Rinsey. In this parish is Godolphin Hill, 495 feet and Tregoning Hill, 596 feet above the sea level; on the summit of the latter are the remains of an entrenchment, measuring about 106 by 92 yards; on the western declivity of the hill is a well, and part of its southern base is dotted with tumuli; along the cliffs at Methleigh are many graves of bodies washed in by the sea; and at Trewavas Head stands a singular columnar rock, known as “the Bishop.”  Breage was once a prosperous mining centre, but little or no tin mining or streaming is now carried on.  Foote’s charity, of £8 8s. yearly, is distributed as follows:- £2 2s to the school; and £2 2s. for the poor, and £4 4s. to the parish of Germoe; there is also £7 16s. for poor widows of this parish. The Duke of Leeds, Lord Churston J.P. and Charles Trelawny esq. and Edward Coode esq. J.P., D.L. of Polapit Tamar,  are lords of the manor and principal landowners.  The soil is light; subsoil, granite.  The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats.  The area is 7,161 acres (including 105 of water); rateable value, £9,210; the population in 1891 was 2,751.

 

RINSEY is a village on the sea coast, 2 miles south-west; TREW, 1 mile north; CARLEEN or CARRLEON, 1 ½ miles north; KENEGGIE, 4 miles west; PENGERSWICK, 3 miles west, is the site of an ancient castle, built in the 16th century, and formerly the residence of the Millytons; most of the building is now ruinous, but a battlemented tower of three stages (temp. Hen. VIII.) still remains; ASHTOWN is 1 mile west from Breage; other villages in this parish are HENDRA,  2 west-south-west, TRESCOW, 4 north-west, TREVERVAS, 2 west-south-west, and HERLAND, 2 north-north-west; PORTHLEVEN, 2 ½ south-south-east, is a fishing village, partly in this parish and partly in Sithney.

 

POST OFFICE – Miss Mary Nicholas, sub-postmistress. Letters, through Helston, arrive at 10.30 a.m.; dispatched at 2.15 p.m. Porthleven is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

ASHTOWN SUB-OFFICE – Miss Bessie KING, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive 11.25 a.m. from Helston; dispatched 2 p.m. Porthleven is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

INSURANCE AGENT: –

North British & Mercantile, J.B. Nicholas

SCHOOLS:-

A School Board of 5 members was formed April 4th 1871;H. H. Nicholas, Clerk to the board.

Board, Wheal Vor (mixed), for 140 children: average attendance, 50. Miss Mary Pope, mistress

 Church, at St. Breage, Church Town, supported by the Vicar of the parish; average attendance, 150; William Pidgeon, master; Miss Ellen Treloar, mistress.

.

CARRIERS – Thomas Henry Beckerleg, to Penzance, tues. & thurs.; Joel Rosewarne & Stephen Hoar to Helston, wed & sat

 

Barnes  Rev. Jocelyn M.A. The Parsonage

Broad Mrs. Church Town

Peake Rev. George Charles B.A. (curate), Higher road

READ John Henry, Calebnas Row

ROBERTS Humphrey. Church Town

 

COMMERCIAL

 

Andrewartha Jas Eade

Farmr, Keneggie

Andrews William Curtis

Coach & Horses P.H. Keneggie

Argall Alfred Francis

Mine agent, Church Town

Bennett Paul

Farmer, Tolmanor

Blight Thomas

Farmer, Trevena

Breage Granite Quarry Co. (Thomas Eustice)

Purser & Manager

Bryant John

Shoemaker, Church Town

Carter Francis

Farmer & registrar of births & deaths for sub-districts of Breage & Germoe, Rinsey

Coast Guard Station (Board of Trade rocket apparatus No. 276)

George Cox, chief boatman

Cock Wm

Trelawney’s Arms P.H. Trew

Curtis John

Mine agent, Keneggie

Curtis John, Jun

Farmer, Keneggie

Davey Stephen

Farmer, Chynoweth & Trevena

Eustice Edmund Truscott

Temperance hotel, Ashtown

Eustice William George

Lion & Lamb P.H., Ashtown

Gilbert John Henry

Farmer, Trevorian

Harry Constance (Mrs)

Shpkpr, Ashtwn

Hosken William

Farmer, Pembro

James Jsph Harry

Shopkeepr, Ashtown

James William

Farmer, Trevorvas

Johns William (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Joyce Jn Adams

Wheelwt, Church Town

King Bessie (Miss)

Shopkeeper, Post Office, Ashtown

King Wm

Draper & Grocer, Church Town

Kitto Fras & Christr

Farmers, Pengersick

Kitto Mary (Mrs)

Farmer, Pengersick

Kitto Mary Ann (Mrs)

Shpkpr, Keneggie

Lukey Joel

Farmer, Leseave

Marks Henry

Farmer, Keneggie

Matthew Francis Wm & Son

Frmrs, Trenno

Matthew James

Farmer, Trevalence

Metal & Flow Mine

Stephen Pope Curtis, manager

Michell Henry

Farmer, Methleigh

Nicholas Hy. Hebbard

Builder, shipping agent & clerk to the school boards of Breage & Germoe, Church town

Nicholas Mary (Miss)

Postmistress

Perry David

Farmer, Crava

Richards Alfred

Farmer, Pellor

Richards John

Farmer, Rosemaber

Richards Phillippa

Shopkeeper

Richards Thos

Frmr, Treworlas

Richards William

Farmer & Assistant Overseer, Trenalls

Richards William, Jun

Farmer, Keneggie

Richards William (Mrs)

Farmer, Little Methleigh

Rogers William

Queen’s Arms P.H., Church Town

Rowe Jacob

Farmer, Sethone

Rowe William

Farmer, Tregew

Sampson Richd & Alfd

Farmers, Hendrea

Stephens James

Farmer, Tremearne

Smith Geo.

Farmr, Sunnyvale, Pengersick

Symons Ann (Mrs)

Starr Inn, Church Tn

Thomas Hy. Davey

Farmer, Keneggie

Thomas John

Farmer, Trevorvas

Toy Johannah (Mrs)

Shopkeeper, Trew

Tredrea James

Shopkeeper, Church Tn

Tregear John

Farmer, Pentreath

Tregoning Clay & Brick Works

John Martin, manager & purser

Treweeke Geo

Frmr & Cttle dlr, Trequean

Tripcony John

Farmer, Hendra

Tripcony Thos Hy.

Farmer, Trevorwas

Williams Frank

Blacksmith, Church Tn