Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF CORNWALL 1883

Page 827-828 BREAGE

(Transcription by Althea Johnson. Check originals for confirmation)

 

Breage is a parish, situated near the coast, on the road between Helston and Marazion, in the Western division of the country, hundred of Kirrier (west), Helston union and county court district, Kirrier rural deanery, Cornwall archdeaconry, and Truro diocese, 8 miles south from Gwinear Road station on the West Cornwall (Great Western) railway, 3 west from Helston and 7 east from Marazion. The church of St. Breage or St. Germowe, is an ancient building of stone and granite, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of seven arches, transepts, south porch, and an embattled western tower, surmounted by four pinnacles and containing a clock and 2 bells, dated 1831 and 1771: in the north transept are portions of the old carved oak roof, with elaborate corbels and beams: the east windows of the chancel and south aisle erected by the parishioners; there are monuments to the Goode family, 1671-94, and others of modern date: Margaret, Countess of Godolphin, and wife of the first Earl, was buried here, September 27th, 1678; in the south aisle are three helmets, two bearing the Godolphin crest; near the south entrance stands the head of an ancient cross.  The register of baptisms dates from the year 1607; marriages and burials, 1559.  The living is a vicarage, with that of Germoe annexed, vicarial tithe rent-charge (Breage) £510, gross yearly value £910 with residence and 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the crown, and held since 1852 by Rev. Edward Morris Pridmore M.A. of Clare College, Cambridge.  There are Wesleyan chapels at Churchtown, Carleen, Ashtown, Hendra, Trenwheal and Keneggie; Bible Christian chapels at Churchtown and Herland Cross, with one in the course of erection at Ashtown; and United Methodist Free Churches at Churchtown, Ashtown and Rinsey. There is a branch of the Cornwall and Devon Miners’ Association.  In this parish is Godolphin Hill, 495 feet and Tregoning Hill, 586 feet above  (Page 827)

 

The sea level, on the summit of the latter are the remains of the entrenchment, measuring about 106 by 92 yards; on the western declivity of the hill is a well, and part of its southern base is dotted with tumuli; along the cliffs at Methleigh are many graves of bodies washed in by the sea; and at Trewavas Head stands a singular columnar rock, known as “the bishop.”  Foote’s charity, of £10 yearly, is distributed as follows:- £2 10s to the school, and £2 10s. for the poor, and £5 to the parish of Germoe; there is also £7 16s. for poor widows of this parish.  The inhabitants are chiefly supported by mining.  The Duke of Leeds, Lord Churston and Charles Trelawny and Edward Coode esqrs J.P, ? are lords of the manor and principal landowners.  The soil is light; subsoil, granite.  The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats.  The area is 7,161 acres (including 105 of water); rateable value, £8,652; the population in 1881 was 3,017.

 

RINSEY is a village 2 miles south-west, on the sea coast; TREW, 1 mile north; CARLEEN, 1 ½ miles north; KENEGGIE, 4 miles west; PENGERSWICK, 3 miles west, is the site of an ancient castle, built in the sixteenth century, and formerly the residence of the Miltons; most of the building is now ruinous, but a battlemented tower of three stages still remains; ASHTOWN is 1 mile west from Breage; other villages in this parish are HENDRA, TREGUNNO, TRESCOW, TREVERVAS and HERLAND PORTHLEVEN, a fishing village, is partly in this parish and partly in Scithney.

 

Pridmore Rev. Edward Morris M.A. Vicarage

Treweeke The Misses, Methleigh

Pidgeon William, Parish Clerk

 

POST OFFICE – Miss Mary Nicholas, sub-postmistress. Letters, through Helston, arrive at 11 a.m.; dispatched at 2 p.m. Helston is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

ASHTOWN SUB-OFFICE – Richard KING, receiver. Letters arrive 11.30 a.m.; dispatched 1.30 p.m.

INSURANCE AGENTS: –

Lancashire,  W King

North British & Mercantile, J.R. Nicholas

Sovereign Life & Star, W Argall

 

Registrar of Births & Deaths, Francis Carter & J.B. Nicholas, Church Town

Assistant Overseer, William Richards, Keneggie

 

SCHOOLS:-

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1871; J.B. Nicholas, Clerk to the Board.

Board, Wheal Vor (mixed), for 140 children: average attendance, 60; James Pooley, master

National, Church Town (mixed), for 180 children; average attendance, 90; William Pidgeon, master

 

CARRIERS – John Julyan & Oliver Hove, to Penzance, tues. & thurs.; to Helston, on sat

 

 

COMMERCIAL

 

Alumina Paint & Color Co. (Messrs. Argall & Cunnick)

(Messrs. Argall & Cunnick, Managers)

Andrewartha James Eade

Farmer, Keneggie

Argall Albert Edward

Farmer, Sunnyvale, Pengersick

Argall William

Mine Manager & Purser & accountant

Argall William Henry

Mine Agent

Bennett Paul

Farmer, Tolmanor

Breage Granite Quarry Co. (William Argall)

Purser & Manager

Broad Henry

Carpenter

Bryant John

Shoemaker

Buckett Wm

Coach & Horses, Keneggie

Carter Francis

Farmer & registrar of births & deaths for sub-districts of Breage & Germoe

Cornwall & Devon Miners’ Association (branch)

 

Curtis Jhn

Mine agt & frmr. Keneggie

Davey Arabella (Miss)

Farmer, Chynoweth

Davey Stephen

Farmer, Trevena

Eade William

Trelawny’s Arms, Trew

Eustice William

Lion & Lamb, Ashtown

Gerry James

Queen’s Arms

Great Hand Fortune Tin Mine (Great Wheal Fortune Co.)

(Wm. Argall, purser; Stephen Harris, chief agent)

Hosking Martin

Farmer, Pembro

Hosking William

Blacksmith

James William

Farmer, Trevorvas

Julyan John

Carrier

King Richard

Shopkeeper & Mine Agent, Post Office,  Ashtown

Kitto John

Farmer, Keneggie

Kitto Thomas

Farmer, Pengersick

Lembrey Sarah (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Lukey Joel

Farmer, Leseave

Marks Thomas

Farmer, Keneggie

Matthew Francis Wm

Farmer, Trenno

Matthew James

Farmer, Trevalence

New Great Vor Tin Mine

Henry Cowling, agent

Nicholas John Bennets

Builder, shipping agent & clerk to the school boards of Breage & Germoe & registrar of births & deaths, Church town

Nicholas Mary (Miss)

Postmistress

North Metal Tin Mine (North Metal Mining Co.)

T Spargo, purser; Joseph Prisk, manager; E. R. Riddington, agent

Oats John

Farmer & Tin Merchant

Parry David

Farmer, Crava

Polrose Tin Mine (Polrose Mine Adventurers)

W. H. Watson, purser & manager; Wm. Bennett, chief agent

Pope Alice (Mrs)

Shopkeeper, Trew

Richards James Eade

Farmer, Pellor

Richards Thomas

Farmer, Treworlas

Richards Wm

Frmr. Little Methleigh

Richards William

Farmer & Assistant Overseer, Keneggie

Richards William, Jun

Farmer, Little Methleigh

Riddington John James

Carpenter

Rowe Jacob

Farmer, Sethoe

Rowe Joseph

Farmer, Rosemabrian

Sampson Richard

Farmer, Hendrea

Sampson William

Draper & Grocer, Ashtown

Stephens James

Farmer, Tremerne

Sydney Cove & Pembro Tin & Copper Mines (Mounts Bay Consols Limited)

Henry Brown, purser; William Argall, manager; Wm. Henry Argall & John James, agents

Thomas John

Farmer, Trevurvas

Thomas Wm. Davey

Farmer, Keneggie

Tippitt John

Farmer, Trewithic

Toll James

Farmer, Pengersick

Toy Johannah (Mrs)

Shopkeeper, Trew

Tredrea James

Shopkeeper

Tregear John

Farmer, Pentreath

Tregoning Clay & Brick Works

Wm. Argall, manager & purser; James Hooper, agent

Treweeke George

Farmer & Cattle dealer, Trequean

Treweeke Richard Henry

Farmer, Methleigh

Tripconey George

Farmer & Carman, Trevowas

West Godolphin Tin & Copper Mines

Thomas Hodge, manager & purser; Francis Hodge, agent

West Vor Tin & copper Mines (West Vor United Mines Co.)

Samuel Harris, chief agent

Williams Ann (Mrs)

Star Inn

Williams Henry

Shopkeeper