Descendants of Johann Nikolaus WEIS
8. Johann Joseph WEIS
Johann Joseph and family - North Street, Drayton; Stenner Street West, Drayton and Stenner Street, Toowoomba.
Carolina Susanna EISER
She was buried in the Toowoomba Cemetery on 10 November 1928 by Lutheran Minister, Pastor E.V.H. Gutekunst, with H Brose and F Eiser as registered witnesses.
35. Christina Katarina WEIS
Christine and Herbert initially lived at Oakey where Herbert was a coal miner. All of their eight children were born at Oakey. A move was made from Oakey to Ackland to a dairy farm. They then moved from Ackland to Jandowae where "Terreebonnee" was purchased from Gus Rattey, the brother of Herbert Rattey who married their daughter Vera. Christine and Herbert moved from Jandowae to Toowoomba in the 1940's where they ran a Guest House in Hume Street (Cnr. Thomas Street?), opposite Queens Park sports fields
36. John Christian WEIS
He worked as a cabinet maker
buried in the Toowoomba Cemetery on 11 July 1900 by the Lutheran Minister, Pastor Th. F. Langebecker with T G Charington and H W Wagner as registered witnesses.
37. Catherina Maria WEIS
During the war years (WW2) Katharina and her sister, Gladys Louisa, spent some time in Melbourne before returning to Toowoomba.
38. Georg Henry WEIS
He was baptised on 18 October 1891 at St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba, by Pastor Langebecker. His sponsors were George Horn and Heinrich Eiser.
Anna Maria Katharina EISER
She was baptised on 15 April 1892 at St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba by Pastor Langebecker with Anna Alke as her sponsor
39. Anna Suzanna WEIS
baptised in St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba, on 7 January 1894 by Pastor Langebecker. Her sponsors were Anna Althaus and Philip Eiser.
40. Heinrich Phillipp WEIS
baptised on 19 October 1896 in St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba, by Pastor Langebecker. His sponsors were Heinrich Eiser, Philipp Eiser and Eva Weis.
42. Anna Karoline WEIS
She was baptised on 3 September 1900 at St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba, by Pastor Langebecker with Anna Alke as sponsor. She was confirmed in June 1914 at St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba. Anna was engaged in Home Duties. On 19 June 1926 Anna married Leslie Venning Brown, a blacksmith from Toowoomba, at St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba. Pastor E.V.H. Gutekunst was the officiating minister and the witnesses were Edris Anthony Venning Brown and E May Weis
43. Henriette WEIS
Henrietta was born on 6 September 1902 at Drayton. She was baptised on 20 September 1902 at St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba, by Pastor Langebecker. Auguste Eiser was sponsor. Henrietta died on 23 September 1902, aged 17 days, and is buried in the Toowoomba Cemetery.
44. Eva Maria WEIS
She was baptised on 9 November 1903 at St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba, by Pastor Langebecker with Eva Weis as sponsor. Eva was confirmed by Pastor E.V.H. Gutekunst at St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba, on 1 December 1918. Eva was engaged in Home Duties.
45. John Frederick WEIS
He was baptised at St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba, on 4 April 1906 by Pastor Langebecker, the sponsor being Eva Weis. He was confirmed at St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba, on 23 May 1920 by Pastor E.V.H. Gutekunst. John was a first day, foundation student at Harristown State Primary School, Toowoomba. He left school at age 12 years and entered the carpentry trade. He was actively engaged in the building of his own home at 318 West Street, Toowoomba, in about 1940. His loving wife still occupies this house in 2001. John was married to Rachel Eveline Enchelmaier on 9 December 1939 at the Dayboro Presbyterian Church by the Lutheran Minister, Pastor Otto H Adler. The attendants were William Weis, Charles Enchelmaier, and twins Eva and Elsie Enchelmaier. This union was blessed with the birth of two sons. They lived at "Rachhaven", (later 318) West Street, South Toowoomba.
John worked as a carpenter until 1961. He helped to build the Drayton Scout Hall and was at one time Vice President of the Drayton Scout Group, receiving an award for his services to the Drayton Scout Group. During World War 2 John served in the Civil Construction Corps, a service medal being presented to his wife by the local Federal Member of parliment (Bill Taylor) in the mid 90's in recognition of this service. John and Eveline, in partnership with Tony and Lorna Asgill, purchased Weis Catering Company from Syril Weis as from 1 January 1961. They remained involved in these wedding and function catering activities until selling their interest in the partnership to Tony and Lorna in October 1970. John entered hospital on 20 July 1977 and died at 1.45 pm on 30 July 1977 in the Thoracic Annexe of the Toowoomba General Hospital, aged 71 years 4 1/2 months. He was buried in the Toowoomba Garden of Remberance on 1 August 1977
47. Gladys Louisa WEIS
She was baptised on 19 May 1912 at St Paul's Lutheran Church, Toowoomba, with Louise Weiss as sponsor
During World War 2, Gladys, together with her sister Katharina, spent some time in Melbourne, Victoria, before returning to Toowoomba and being employed in domestic duties at the Toowoomba General Hospital. Gladys and Charles lived at 4 Sybil Street, Harristown, Toowoomba. While at this address, they had the good fortune of winning the 6000 pounds Golden Lottery. They purched and operated a small dairy farm for a number of years at Palm Tree, a small locality in the Ravensbourne area of Queensland, eventually returning to Toowoomba.
At the time of his marriage, Charles was employed as a storeman in Toowoomba. Charles was tragically killed on 9 April 1971 when hit by a motor vehicle on a pedestrian crossing near the Museum, Bowen Bridge Road, Brisbane. He was aged 59 years. Charles was leaving the Royal Brisbane Hospital where he had been visiting Gladys, a patient, at the time of the accident. Charles was buried in the Toowoomba Garden of Rememberance.
George Jacob REUTER
Reuter's vineyard was in Hume Street on the site now occupied in part by the Kath Dixon Centre (just south of James Street). Reuter used to buy grapes from other farmers, and is said to have had extensive cellars. Catherine was George (Georg) Reuter's second wife.
George Jacob Reuter was making large quantities of wine and his vineyard on the corner of Hume and Lawrence Streets existed for over 30 years. His winepress was one of the earliest pieces of agricultural equipment manufactured at the Toowoomba Foundry, established in 1871. When he died in February 1894, at the age of 60, Toowoomba lost a "very fine old resident" and an important wine producer
11. Frederick Bartholemew WEIS
The descendants of Frederick Weis and Fredericka Augusta Maria Muller held
a family reunion at Middle Ridge Hall in 1990 and, as a reunion activity,
planted a tree (marked by a plaque) in the playground area of Middle Ridge
Heinrich Wilhelm WAGNER
Taken from a newspaper article titled "Old Resident Recalls" circa 1950:
Early days in Toowoomba were recalled yesterday by Mr H. W. Wagner, and 80 years old native of this city, to in his years was the first boy to be employed delivering newspapers in the Toowoomba area. The "Chronicle" building was situated on the southern side of Margaret Street in those days, and printing was not the push button affair it is today. Mr Wagner remembers watching the tiring work at the cumbersome hand presses as he and other paper always waited around the office until the "Chronicle" came out at 3:30 am. "Usually we were roped in to helping with the folding of the papers each of which had to be done separately" he said.
Mr Wagner was one of six sons of German parents. His mother and father came to Australia in the 1850s and were married at Drayton by Archdeacon Glennie. All of his five brothers followed him into newspaper delivering. Later on he went droving and shearing and then lived for 50 years on his dairy farm Cedarvale at the foot of the range. His wife, whom he married in 1895 died in 1935. They raised a family of 10 children, all of whom are still living.
Mr Wagner's brother Mr August Wagner, was a printer at the chronicle for many years and enlisted when the Boer War broke out. He claimed to be the first non commissioned officer in the British Dominions to volunteer for active service in South Africa. On his return he settled down to be training and racing of horses. Mr Wagner retired from his dairy farm three years ago and now is living in retirement in Toowoomba. Looking back over the years, he has only one comment to make "Some used to think it was a hard life but I always had good fun".
70. Herbert George WAGNER
The sudden death of Herbert George Wagner on July 3 has broken a link in one of the oldest pioneering families in Queensland. The late Mr Wagner to live at 35 Thorpe Street, Indooroopilly, was a son of the late H. W. Wagner and a grandson of the late Henry Wagner one of the to the pioneer bullock dray owners to transported goods from Goondiwindi to the banks of Bremer River in Ipswich where they met the sailing ships linking Sydney to that point. Henry Wagner was also one of the first selectors at Middle Ridge Toowoomba (then part of the Eton Vale cattle station). Over the years descendants have kept the family name in the district and part of the original selection is still in the family name.
Herbert Wagner was born in Toowoomba on November 1 1899, and spent his boyhood day's with his parents at Cedar Vale at the foot of the old Toll Bar, at what is still known as Wagner's Dip.
He was one of the first pupils on the role of the Rangeville school, and with his brothers and sisters often travelled the five miles to and from school on foot. He was the school mounted bugler, and a member of the Rangeville group of boy scouts.
Both the school and the scouts were under the leadership of well-known Mr Thomas Henderson who now at 89 is known to all as The Grand Old Man.
Herbert Wagner was also a keen footballer in his youth. The school team was coached by the famous Bob Meibusch.
Mr Wagner was a dental technician and received his early training for his profession with the late Mr Nolan and Dr Wilcox, of Toowoomba. He followed this profession until the time of his death, and was an executive member of the Dental Technician's Association.
Maud Winifred FITZGERALD
My father James Francis Fitzgerald was born in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia in 1870
My mother Ivy May Asher was born in Christchurch, New Zealand about 1885 and was of the Catholic faith and Maori descent. She migrated to Queensland with her family about 1887
My parents were known as the Flying Jordans Trapeze act and they toured the world and Australia with the Wirth Brothers Circus. While on tour in the United States of America they were married in New York City on New Year's Eve c. 1905. After a tragic accident while touring North Queensland c. 1906 they left the circus and changed their name to Collins. This was because of a legal matter with Wirth Brothers and the name of the Tapeze act.
17. Anna Barbara WEIS
Anna Barbara married William Bland 1874 at Cassilis and moved
to the Walgett area. William worked as a labourer and bullock driver around
the district. Anna died after giving birth to their last child in 1888.
Johann Peter Weis disowned his daughter for marrying a person who was black. William Thomas Bland had an infliction where the pigment of his skin turned black when he was exposed to sunlight.
William Thomas BLAND
William Thomas Bland was in the 1880's on Dungalear station near Walgett and was a bullock driver and labourer.
William Thomas Bland who married Anna Barbara Weis was the son of an ex convict Joseph Bland and Ann Ellis was from a middle class background. The Ellis family disowned Ann for marrying below her status.
Started the winery Hohenhem at Mudgee. Name changed during war to Mt Pleasant winery
19. Philip WEIS
This family initially stayed in Cassilis but moved to Gulgong.
124. Eric Peter WEIS
Courtesy Annette Piper:
Obituary, Mudgee Guardian 28 April 1928: "Mr Eric Peter Weis, one of the
most highly esteemed residents of the Uarbry district, died suddenly at his
home on Friday evening last, at the age of 28 years. Soon after Mr Weis had
finished his evening meal he spoke of feeling unwell and passed away very
shortly afterwards. Deceased had been married only a year and the blow to
his sorrowing wife is an extremely hard one. Late Mr Weis was a farmer and
grazier and son of Mr and Mrs W Weis, one of the most respected residents of
that district. He was universally popular and was a friend to all that he
knew. His death is a severe loss, not only to his wife and the Weis family,
but to the district. The funeral was held at Uarbry on Saturday, and was
very largely attended, being the largest ever held there. Rev. C H Searle
of the C E Coolah, officiated at the graveside and in the church of England
at Uarbry where a service was held. Mr J Clark of Gulgong carried out the
funeral arrangements. Our deep sympathy is extended.
Weis' also owned 'Avonview'. When sold, 'Avonview' had been in the Weis
family 102 years. Una and Eric Weis lived at 'Avonview'. Their house is no
longer there. In about 1958 Una moved into the Uarbry village and her son
Eric and wife took over the property.