Millican, Milligan, Millikan, Milliken, Millikin, Mullican, Mulliken, Mullikin etc.
Church Records of Old Edinburgh
The Old Parish of Edinburgh grew up around and within the walled town of Edinburgh. St. Giles' Cathedral or the High Kirk of Edinburgh, situated on the Royal Mile, was by the 16th century composed of a number of chapels and by the 17th century, several Kirks. Of the Chapels endowed before the Reformation of 1560, these included chapels set up by the craftsmen’s guilds of Edinburgh, chapels endowed by prominent merchants and nobles, and a chapel for a relic of St Giles. By the middle of the 16th century, there were around fifty altars in the church. Of the various Kirks which compose St Giles'Cathedral, "the High Kirk had a sort of dignified aristocratic character, approaching somewhat to prelacy, and was frequented only by sound church-and-state men, who did not care so much for the sermon, as for the gratification of sitting in the same place with his majesty's Lords of Council and session, and the magistrates of Edinburgh, and who desired to be thought men of sufficient liberality and taste to appreciate the prelictions of Blair".
The kirk of the Old (or Great) Kirk, a congregation which had originally worshiped in part of St Giles from 1560, claims as the congregation's first minister, John Knox (1560-1572). "Of the Old Kirk, in the centre of the whole, it was frequented by people who wished to have a sermon of good divinity, about three-quarters of an hour long, and who did not care for the darkness or dreariness of their temple. The Tolbooth Kirk was the peculiar resort of a set of rigid Calvanists from the Lawnmarket and the head of the Bow, termed the Towbuith-Whigs, who loved nothing but extempore evangelical sermons, and who would have considered it sufficient to bring the house down about their ears if the precentor had ceased, for one verse, the old hillside fashion of reciting the lines of the pslam before singing them". Quotes from 'Traditions of Edinburgh' by Robert Chambers.
The parish church of Edinburgh has records for baptisms dating from 1595 and for marriages from 1595. The earliest burial records only survive from about the mid 17th century and cover the Greyfriars burial groud. This was the cite of Greyfriars garden and before the reformation, belonged to the monks of the Franciscan Order, who came to Edinburgh and established a monastery here in 1447. They were medical missionaries working with the poor and remained until they were forced to flee to Europe at the time of the Reformation. The garden of the Greyfriars was given to the town by Mary Queen of Scots in 1562 as an overflow cemetery to relieve the overcrowding in the churchyard of St Giles. An Index to the "Register of Interments in the Greyfriars Burying-Ground, Edinburgh, 1658-1700" was published by Scottish Records Society in 1902. I have had the orginal entries for the "Ms" examined and included the transcipts in the following list.
Note: The two letters at the end for north east, south east, south west etc., being part of the parish.