From the circumstances that Salem township lies in two congressional townships and also in two ranges, we find two sections No. 1; two No. 2; two No. 13; two No. 24, and two No. 36. The west tier of sections (all bordering on Madison county) is is range 8, east, while all the sections of the town ship east of that tier are in range 9, east. The north tier of sections, bordering on Mt. Pleasant township, is in congressional township 20, north, while all south of this tier are in township 19, north. Salem township is five miles north and south, by seven miles east and west, containing thirty-five sections or (in round numbers) 22,400 acres of land. It is the southwest corner township of Delaware couty, and is bounded north by Mt. Pleasant township, east by Monroe township, south by Henry county, and west by Madison county.
As has been heretofore stated, Salem township is in congressional townships 19 and 20; also in Ranges 8 and 9. Now, in giving its history by sections, we will first take up the tier of sections bordering on Madison county, commencing at the northwest corner of the township we have Section 36. Section 36 is in Township 20 north and Range 8 east. The first to enter land in this section was Oliver H. Smith on May 30, 1831. He entered the northwest quarter of the northeast quarter of this section, 40acres, and a portion of the land now owned by H. C. Schlegel. On October 15 of the same year Wm. C. Van Matre entered the east half of the southeast quarter, now owned by G. Goodpasture. In 1893 there was but one entry, that of Aaron Brewer, 40 acres, on October 31, 40 acres in 1833 by Samuel Brown, a 40-acre tract by James M. Chambers and an 80 by William Nelson in 1834. In 1835 there were entries made by Jesse Dearth, Frederick Bronenberg, Jr., and James Miller Chambers, which included all the land of Section 36, except a 40-acre tract which was entered by John McClanahan on January 27, 1836. Present owners of lands in Section 36 are: H. C. Schlegel, G. Goodpasture, M. and J. Walters, J. J. Schlegel, G. Chambers, J. Rinker and C Thomas. The section has public roads on the north, south and west lines, also a free pike on the east. School No. 3 is located in the southeast corner of this section.
Section 1 is south of 36. The earliest purchase in section 1 was made on March 20, 1827, by Campbell Dale, although Mr. Dale had made purchases in the section south of this some two months prior to this date. The tract entered by him in section 1 was the east half of the southeast quarter, the south part of which is now occupied by the village of Daleville, and the north part owned by M. E. Bronenberg. In May following Chamberlain Hutson entered the west half of this quarter. In 1831 purchases were made by Jason Hudson and William Caldwell Van Matre. In 1834 by John Bronenberg, and the last of the public land of the section was entered by John and Frederick Bronenberg in 1833. The section is owned at the present time by J. Beck, J. Rickers' heirs et al., J. Bronenberg, H. Bronenberg, Peter Bronenberg, John Bronenbergand M.E. Bronenberg. There are roads on the north, east and west lines. The village of Daleville occupies the southeast corner, with the Big Four railroad crossing throngh the village.
On January 10, 1827, Campbell Dale purchased one half of section 12 of the government, including the northeast quarter (three-fourths of which is now within the corporate limits of Daleville) the east half of the southeast quarter and the east half of the northwest quartex. In May and June 1829 entries were made in the section by Isaac Carpenter and Thomas Fostnaugh. In 1844 by Allen Makepeace and in 1835 by Allen Makepeace and Joel Copher. The present owners of the land of this section other than town lots in Daleville, are J. Beck, J. Bronenberg, Jos. Dale, A. T. Stewart, J. J. Hurley, J. R. Shoemaker, W. Rozelle, R. I. Frazee, J. G. Hupp and B. F. Lefter. There is a public road on the east and also one on the west of the section, White river enters the section about one-third of a mile west of the northeast corner, then turning almost west, flows out into Madison county a few rods south of the northwest corner of the section.
The first land entry in section 13 was made in 1833, in which year Robert Lindsey Bartlett entered two 40 acre tracts. In 1834 Joshua Hurley entered 80 acres. In 1835 Robert L. Bartlett entered 40, and Joseph Dipboye 240 acres. In 1836 the last of the public lands were purchased by Lewis Rogers and Arbena Doubt. Section 13 is now owned by J. G. Hupp, James H. Walsh, A. C. Ellison, D Yount, S. F. Lanley, M. A. Moffett and R. I. Frazee. The section has about three and a half miles of public roads and school No. 12 is located on the south side of the section. As early as May 5, 1831, John Fleming and Peter Miller entered the southeast quarter of section 24. Mr Fleming taking the east and Mr. Miller the west half of the quarter. However, prior to this (Oct. 23, 1829) the east half of the southwest quarter of the section had been entered by B. F. and Joseph Nichols, after these entries others were made as follows; in 1832 by Jonas Gallaban; in 1833 by Joshua Hurley, in 1835 by William Fleming, Benjamin Bartlett, William O'Briant, Joshua Hurley and Abraham Dipboye, leaving a tract of 40 acres in the northeast corner of the section which was entered by Abraham Dipboye on November 14, 1836. This is the southwcst corner of both the township and county, and the section is now owned by F. and E. Cooper, J. Huffman, R. Witt, J. J. Hurley, D. O'Bryant, C. Hurley, C. C. Hurley and C. Dipboye. The section has about three miles of public road on section and half section lines except one road which angles through the section, running from southeast to northwest.
In section 31, township 20, north, range 9, east, is where the first land in Salem ever purchased of the government is located, and as we have before stated, was entered by Joshua Baxter, on May 15, 1823, it being the west half of the northeast quarter of the section. The road running from Yorktown to Daleville enters this tract of land about two miles out from Daleville. The next entry of land in this section was the west half of the northwest quarter, and was made by John Suman on November 6, 1827. Then came George Michael in 1829, Francis Pugsley in 1832, John Suman, Joseph Van Matre and William Nelson in 1834. Then William Nelson and Jonathan Sheff entered the last of the public land in the section in 1835. The section is now owned by F. Kilgore, L. Hoover, C. and R. Helvie, G. Goodpasture, R. N. Cannon, H. Richman and William Pugsley. The Yorktown and Daleville public road crosses the east half of the section, and White river the west half in a nearly south course.
The first purchase of public land in section 32 was an 80-acre tract, being the east half of the northwest quarter of the section. The purchaser was Powell Scott, and the entry was dated June 18, 1828. This tract is now owned by J. P. Shoemaker. The Big Four Railroad crosses the southeast corner of this land about midway between Yorktown and Daleville. There were no other entries of land in section 32 for almost six years, when in 1834 entries were made by John Knopp, David Kilgore and James Washington Brown, in 1835 by Benjamin Franklin Hancock and Oliver H. Smith, and in 1836 by Oliver H. Smith and David Kilgore. The present owners of section 32 are W. K. Helvie, F. Kilgore, J. P. Shoemaker, W. R. Moore, J. Miller, J. and M. Miller, Henry Helvie, W. M. Helvie, V. Sullivan and J. F. Cummings. The Big Four Railroad crosses the section from northeast to southwest. The section has free gravel pike on the east and south line, and Prairie ditch drains the south half.
In section 33 John Stewart entered an 80-acre tract on August 22, 1831. This was in the northeast corner of the section. In 1832 two entries were made by Willis Hardwick and William Antrim. In 1834 two entries were made by Jacob Saunders, in 1835 two by Theodore Lewis, and in 1836 two (they being the last of the public lands in the section) by Oliver H. Smith. This section is now owned by Jeff H. Claypool, W. K. Helvie, Daniel Richman, J. Miller, J. and M. Miller and Henry Helvie. The south half of this section is also drained by Prairie ditch, and has gravel pikes on the east.
Section 34 was all entered by Oliver H. Smith on August 10, 1835. Presently, this section (34') owned by J. Jernegan, M. Jernegan, E. Coffman, M. and C. Paulin, M. Paulin, R.G. Paulin, J. Bennett, E. R. Stewart, and W. Wiseheart. Section 34 has pike on the south and west lines, also a public road on the east line, aud north and south through the center.
Warren Stewart entered the east half of the northeast quarter of Section 35, on Nov. 10, I832. In 1833 Daniel Prilaman entered two eighty-acre tracts. During 1834 there were on entries made but in 1835 Thomas Brumfield, Sr., and Oliver H. Smith each made two entries. In 1836 Thomas Pierce and Joseph Prilaman secured the title to the balance of the public land in this section. These lands are now owned by J. H. Jones, E. L. Athey, J. and A. Wiggerly, W. J. Painter, Daniel W. Rees, J. Richman and S. McNairy. The section has some three and one-half miles of public road, about one half of which is free gravel pike. School No. 1 is located on the north half of the southeast quarter of this section.
The first landlord in section 36, township 20, north, range 9, east, was Ralph Heath, who on June 18, 1829 located on the southeast quarter of this section, securing the government title to the entire quarter section, 160 acres. Then came Samuel Stewart in 1830, Jesse McKinney and James Moffett in 1831, James Moffett again in 1832, James Knott in 1834, and James Golf in 1836. This section of land is now owned by Elijah Miller, S. Coffman, S. and G. Stewart, J. H. Jones, A. W. Ross, T. W. Tuttle, S. McNairy, M. Shirk and S. P. Heath. The section has some three miles of public road, and is well drained by Bell creek and its tributaries.
Now to that portion of Salem township in Township 19, north, and Range 9, east. Section 1 was first settled for a home by John Lane. Mr. Lane entered his land on the same day with Mr. Heath, (June 18, 1829), entering the northeast quarter of the section. In 1832 entries were made in this section by James McKimmey and Asa Bishop. In 1835 by James Knott, and in 1836 by Thomas Perdue, William Simpson and John Jones. The present owners are John Sunderland, W. Hill, E. Sunderland, S. McNairy, W. Sharp, C. Sunderland and J. Richman. Section 1 has public highways on the east, north and west line, a portion of the south line, and the Muncie and Middletown pike crossing the southeast part of the section.
Robert Heath entered the northeast quarter of Section 2 on New Year's day 1830. In 10831 John Adams, Jr., entered an 80 acre tract, after which time entries were made by Adam Campbell in 1832, Robert Heath, Samuel Grimes Sunderland and Adam Campbell in 1834, by Eben Pitser, Francis McNairy and William McAlister in 1836. Section 2 is now owned by J. A. Neese, S. McNairy, A. and L. May, S. Kendell, et. al., I. Pitser, S. Sunderland and William Sunderland. The section has four miles of public road and is well watered and drained by Bell creek and its branches.
The first entry of public land in section 3 was made by Abner McCartney on December 1, 1835. This was the northeast quarter of the section. All the land in the section was taken up during the following year (1836) by Griffith Thompson, William McAlister, Theodore Lewis and John Stewart. The present owners of section 3 are E. R. Stewart, Daniel Richman, S. E. Richman, A. H. Bronenburg, D. Richman, J. Moreland and G. Mingle. The section has public highways on the north, south and west lines, those on the north and west being free gravel pikes.
Section 4 was purchased of the government as follows: Southwest quarter by John Marsh June 1, 1831; southeast quarter by John Kennedy May 17, 1834; northeast quarter by James Leviston December 1, 1835, and the northwest quarter by Oliver H. Smith January 1, 1836. Section 4 is now owned by D. and M. Dillman, J. Fenwick, G. M. Richman, Daniel Richman, W. and J. Coffman, G. Mingle, G. W. Richman and W. A. Shoemaker. Section 4 is a fine section of land, in a high state of cultivation, and the only section in Salem township entirely surrounded with free gravel pikes.
Section 5 in Salem township was somewhat late in getting her lands into market, as the first to avail himself of these lands was Haden Makepeace, who entered the north half of the northwest quarter (now owned by M. E. Helvie), on October 9, 1834. During 1835 purchases of public land were made by John Knoop, William Stewart, John Stewart, Jacob Saunders and Tandy Reynolds, leaving three 40 acre tracts not entered, which were taken up, two by Jonas Shoemaker and one by Wm. Fenwick, in 1836. Section 5 is now owned by Henry Helvie, Daniel Richman, M. E. Helvie, T. Campbell, J. M. Hancock, J. Shoemaker, W. N. Reynolds, W. A. Shoemaker and Jonathan Shepp. The section has a public road on each of its section lines, those on the north, south and east being free gravel pikes. School No. 6 is located near the southwest corner of the section, on the pike running east from the village of Daleville.
On the 6th day of November, 1827, when but few white settlers had located in Salem township, John Suman entered the north half of the northwest quarter of section 6. White river, in a meandering course, divides this tract in almost aqual parts, the tract contains 81 and 17-100 acres, and lies just north of the village of Daleville. In 1831, Ransom Makepeace entered the tract adjoing him on the south. On September 1, 1832, Justin Steele entered the southwest quarter of the section, in the corner of which is located a part of the village of Daleville. In 1833 entries were made by Ransom Makepeace and Samuel Rogers; in 1835 by Thomas Fosnot and James Griffith, leaving one 40acre tract, which was purchased in 1836 by Oliver H. Smith. Section 6 is now owned by H. Richman, F. W. Heath, William Pugsley, P. Bronenberg, M. Campbell, D. Rinker, J. Harkey and W. Ketchum. The section has about four and a half miles of public road. The C., C., C. & I. Railroad crosses the section from northeast to southwest. White river crosses the northwest corner of the section, and the southwest corner of the section is in the business center of Daleville.
Section 7, having its northwest corner in the village of Daleville, was entered in 1833, '34 and '35, by James Fenwick, in 1833; Michael Gronendyke, in 1834; John Simpson, Stephen Rogers, Henry Rogers and Abraham Pugsley, in, 1835. The real estate of this section is now owned by Cary Fenwick, C. Goodpasture, W. Rinker, J. Rinker, E. Chrisman, A. and W. Rinker, M. Herman, J. G. Hupp, A. Rinker, John Davis and D. N. Minnick. The section has public roads on the east, west and north lines, those on the north and west being free gravel pikes.
On the 22nd day of September, 1832, Morgan Van Matre purchased of the government the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 8. This first entered land in this section is now owned, with other lands, by H. Moreland. Following Mr. Van Matre, the entries in the section were made by James Fenwick, in 1833; Mathias Furrow, David Strickler and John Fesler, in 1834, and Henry Richman and Jesse Windsor, in 1835. The real estate owners of section 8 are now S. Coffman, J. N. Coffman, A. H. Pugsley, Jonathan Shepp, H. Moreland, S. E. Huffman, A. W. Huffman and D. M. Strickler. The section has public roads on the east, west and south to the center of the section on the half section lines.
The west half of the northwest quarter of section 9 was entered by Thomas Windsor on the10th day of May, 1830. Thomas Pierce made an entry in 1832, Lawrence Wilson in 1834, Thos. Pierce, Wm. Curry Windsor and David Van Matre in 1835, and William Price and David Strickler in 1836. At the present time we find the title to the lands in section 9 in the name of the following persons: W. R. Landry, George McWilliams, J. R. Shoemaker, M. Richman, W. Swanger and J. P, Huff. Section 9 has free gravel pikes on the north and east sides; also a public road along the west line.
The first entry of land in section 10 in Salem township was made in 1832, in which year there were four entries recorded by two persons, two by Obadiah Meeker, on August 16, and two by Adam Campbell, on August 27, after which there were no further entries made until 1835, when titles were secured by John Davis, David Strickler, Asa French and William Tomlinson. In 1836 William McAlister and Samuel Dusang secured the two remaining 40-acre tracts. We find the land owners of this section at present to be A. and J. Corwin, H. H. Taylor, D. M. Yingling, M. Makepeace, W. R. Landry, J. M. Fisher, and M. Richman. The section has a free gravel pike on the west line, a public road on the north side and another crossing the southeast corner. School No. 7 is situated in the northeast corner of the section.
The east half of the southeast quarter (now owned by S. J. Moffett and J. Moffett) was the first land purchased of the government in section 11. The purchaser was Evan Pitser, and the date of the purchase September 26, 1831, after which the purchasers of the public lands of this section were as follows: Adam Campbell and William Summers in 1832; Lambert Moffett in 1833; Samuel Grimes Sunderland in 1834 and also in 1835, and David Stickler and John T. Vardeman in 1836. The land in section 11 is now owned by M. E. Stewart, S. K. Sunderland, Perry V. Stewart, H. H. Taylor, I. Moffett, S. J. Moffett, and W. N. Summers. The section has public roads on the north and south sides, north and south through the center, another crossing the northwest corner, and the Muncie and Middletown pike crossing the southeast corner.
Bailes E. Jones entered the east half of the northwest quarter of section 12, on November 5, 1830. This 80-acre tract is still in the name of Jones, being owned by J. and W. Jones. John Braden Finley and Abner Perdue made entries in 1832; William Scruggs, Lambert Moffett and John B. Finley in 1835; and Abraham Hall, Edward Sharp and Daniel Miller in 1836. The present owners of section 12 are S. I. Sharp, S. S. Stewart, J. and W. Jones, J. Moffett, J. A. Stewart, R. Bowers, M. E. Bowers, M. Bowers, and W. N. Summers. The section has gravel pike along the east side and across the northwest corner, a public road along the south and a part of the north line. School house No. 8 is located on the west side at the half section line, and Tabor post office is in the southeast corner of this section.
Joining section 12 on the south is section 13. The public land in this section was entered by John H. Taylor March 11, 1830; Thomas Kidd January 3, 1831; Samuel Clevenger May 24, and Reece Carter June 19, 1833; and William Miller January 7, 1834. Section 13 is now owned by O. E. Clevenger, Samuel Davis, A. F. Andes, S. C. Bowers, N. J. Fleming, and S. Ball. The section has free gravel pike on the east, and also on the south, and a public road on the north line.
On June 10, 1829, John Tomlinson entered the northwest quarter of section 14. In 1831 entries were made in the section by John Pitser and Aquilla Davis; in 1832 by Asa Bado Watkins and Christian Pence; in 1833 by Lambert Moffett and David McNutt. Present owners are A. F. Andes, Samuel Davis, Joseph F. Bowers, E. Abshire, J. G. Bowers, and M. S. Bowers.
Section 15, in Salem township, is in the south central part of the township, and that our readers may the more readily understand its location, we will state that Cross Roads, Post Office and Village, is situated in the southwest corner of the section and borders on the Richwoods neighborhood. On July 30, 1829, Daniel Shawhan entered the east half of the southwest quarter of this section, an 80-acre tract, now owned by G. Young, after which entries were made by John Tomlinson in 1831, Christian Wail and Isaac Pitser in 1833, John Tomlinson in 1834 and William Parent and Christian Wall in 1835. Owners of land 15 are now: E. Abshire, M. West, W. S. Swanger, J. L. Mowery, Josiah Cromer and G. Young. The section has pikes on the west and south, with other public roads through the section, but at very short unreasonable angles.
The school section of Salem (16) was sold by the commissioners in the year 1836, as follows: April 9th, 80 acres to Samuel McCulloch for $750. May 21st, 160 acres to David Strickler for $1,500. June 4th, 160 acres to James Windsor for $1,000. June 6th, 160 acres to John Fesler for $1,000, June 7th, 80 acres to William Windsor for $750. Thus the section, 640 acres, bringing the sum of five thousand dollars, or an average of $7.81 per acre. This price in 1836, when there was any amount of public land even in Delaware county to be had at the government price of $1.25 per acre, should be sufficient proof of the high estimation in which this land is held. Section 16 is now owned by, A. Swanger, Fred Cromer, L. Sayford and S. VanMatre, M. E. Sayford, M. S. Graves and S. J. Strickler. The section has two miles of gravel pike and one mile of other public highway.
The first entry in section 17 was Homer Brooks, who entered the east half of the southwest quarter October 29, 1831, after which entries were made in 1833 by John Simpson, in 1834 by David Crist, Ephraim Cole, William Schofield and Samuel Stephens and in 1835 by David Strickler and John Fesler. We now find the land in 17 owned by R. Richman, W. H. Huffman, W. Rader, J. Rader, D. and A. Getts M. Richman and N. V. Franklin. Seventeen has 4½ miles of public highway, one mile of which is gravel pike, school No. 11 is located on the southwest quarter of this section.
On May 23, 1833, Lemuel Fleming entered the first land in section 18, Salem township, this was a 40 acre tract, being the southeast quarter of the southwest quarter. This 40 acre tract is now owned in its entirety by Mr. George W. Davis. The next entry in the section was an 80 acre tract in the northeast quarter by Evan Stephens, Oct. 17th, 1834. In 1835 entries were made by Francis Lonsdale and John Graham. Then the last of the public land by John Graham, March 26th, 1836. This section is now owned by A. Van Matre, C. Van Matre, G. W. Brandon, L. Lambert, M. Woodward, A. Johnson, J. T. Brandon, H. C. Brandon, J. and A. Brandon, Geo. W. Davis and C. C. Shedron. Eighteen has over four miles of public highway, one mile of which is free pike.
On the 2Ist day of January, 1831, John Groves purchased the west half of the southwest quarter of Section 19. After this entry by Mr. Groves we find the next entry by Zachariah Clevenger in Oct. 1832, and James Marsh in November of the same year. In 1833 entries were made by James Marsh and Lemuel Fleming. In 1835 by James Marsh, Abraham Dipboye and Wm. Fleming, and in 1836 by William Roberts and Arbena Doubt. The present land owners of 19 are: C.A. Brock, Geo. W. Davis, W. Wiseheart, E. C. Snider, et al., S. Lindemond, J. P. Prigg and J. Graves. Nineteen has a public road on the north line, also a gravel pike along the east side and a road across the southwest corner.
On November 1, 1826, John Van Matre came into the wilderness and selected the east half of the northeast quarter of Section 20 for his future home. He afterwards, in 1833 and 1834, secured the title to the balance of the quarter section. In 1827 James Marsh entered the quarter section adjoining Mr. Van Matre on the south. The west half of the section was entered by William Summers in 1831, Joseph Chapman in 1834, Van Matre Stewart in 1835, and William Roberts and John Rinker in 1836. A portion of this section is in the original Richwoods, and at one time was literally covered with fine black walnut forests. The section is owned at present by Margaret Snoemaker, Henry Van Matre's estate and W. Wisehart. The section has three miles of highway, two of which is free pike.
On November 2, 1826, John and David Van Matre each entered a quarter section of land in section 21, John taking the northwest quarter and David the southwest quarter of the section. After this entries were made by Samuel Johnson in 1827; Naomi Van Matre in 1830, and Alexander McAllister and Mathias Pitser in 1831. So all the land in section 21 was entered by September 22, 1831, making it one among the oldest sections in Delaware county. This section is all in the original Richwoods, and is now owned by Enoch Witt, E. E. Pittenger, D. A. Funkhouser, R. H. Cromer, Josiah Cromer, Van Matre and Pianter, and C. Van Matre. Twenty-one has a public road on the east line, and free pikes on the north and west. The Cross Roads post office is at the northeast corner of thr section.
The first purchase of public land in section 22 was the east half of the southeast quarter, entered on November 14, 1826 by Robert Williams, and now owned by A. White, after which the entries were made in 1829 by John Perdue; in 1830 by Francis Colburn; in 1831 by Edward Sharp, Rufus Perdue and Mathias Pitser, and in 1832 by William Summers. This section is now owned by J. G. and J. B. Bowers, Josiah Cromer, B. C. Bowman, A. White, and James Groendyke. Twenty-two has two and one-half miles of highway, one and one-half miles of which is free pike.
On November 14, 1826, Robert Williams made two entries of land in section 23, being the northwest quarter and the west half of the southwest quarter. In 1830, four years later, the next entries were made by John Myers, William Sharp and Enoch Nation. Abraham and Samuel Davis entered 80 acres in 1831, and Enoch Nation in 1833 and again in 1834. At this time we find the titles to the land in section 23 in the name of J. Van Matre, N. Runyan, J. G. and J. F. Bowers, W. F. Painter, and John S. Moore. Twenty-three has two and a fourth miles of free pike, also one mile of other public road.
Section 24 is the southeast corner section of Salem township, and although Edward Davis entered an 80-acre tract of land in this section as early as November 14, 1831, yet the last piece of public land in Salem township to be sold was the southwest quarter of the southwest quarter of this section and was entered by Christian Sourwine on the 22d day of March, 1837. This tract is now owned by O. and L. Pence. Other entries were made in this section by Timothy Ives in 1832, and Enoch Witt, Eleakim Wilson, and Christian Sourwine in 1835. The lands of section 24 are now in the name of Jesse Clevenger, Jacob Clevenger, Samuel Davis, L. Davis, N. Swain, D. Cooper, O. and L. Pence, and A. M. Pence. Twenty-four has three miles of public highway, one of which is a free gravel pike.
(End of Salem Township-Click NEXT for Mt. Pleasant Township.)
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids