The city of Muncie, Center Township, is the Delaware County seat of government, and geographically, is centered in section 33. Center Township is bounded north by Hamilton, east by Liberty, south by Monroe and west by Mt. Pleasant and a portion of Harrison Township.
Sections 31 to 36, inclusive in Center township is the north tier of sections and are in congressional township 21.
Beginning with 31, the first entry of public land in this section was made by John H. Collins on May 11, 1835 in the east half of the southeast quarter, (80 acres) now owned by James McClellan. After the Collins entry, Bowen Rees entered two 80 acre tracts in the section the following November after which time (in 1836) John Miller entered the north (fractional) half and Daniel Jarrett the (fractional) west half of the southwest quarter. We find the present owners of 31 to be W. Ginn, Jane Taylor, M. McGraw, James McClellan, Joseph Huffman, J. E. Smith and A. Justice. The section has about two and a half miles of public highway, half-mile of which is the Bethel pike which crosses the southwest corner.
John Isaac Jetmore was the first to procure a title to public land in section 32, which was the south half of the southwest quarter (80 acres). This entry was made on November 15, 1834, and is now owned with other lands by C. M. Preston. The remainder of section 32 was entered by William P. Williams, Charles Francis Willard and John A. Gilbert in 1834 and by Charles Francis Willard, Daniel ]arrett. John Whiteside and George Leiber in 1836. The present owners in section 32 are E. H. Jones, S. E. Seitz, Wm. Tell Seitz, E. M. Everett, G. Eiler, P. Eiler, G. Eber, C. M. Preston, J. Eiler, M. A. Willis and Joseph Heaton. The section has some two miles of public road, a part of which is the Muncie and Wheeling free pike, which crosses the northeast corner of the section.
Section 33 was all entered in the years of 1835 and '36. In 1835 by William and David S. Collins in the southwest quarter and in 1836 by George Leiber, Joseph Dean and Mayor Powers. At present the section is owned by S. Hamilton, W. H. Harrison, Henry C. Marsh, Mrs. A. A. Truitt, John Williams, C. R. Weaver and John S. Petty's estate. The section is almost surrounded by public roads, that on the east line and across the southwest corner being free gravel pikes as before stated the geographical center of Delaware county is in the center of this section.
The first purchase of government land in section 34 was made October 21, 1829, by Joseph Bennett and was the east half of the southeast quarter (80 acres) and now owned part by Abner Keplinger and part by Brice Powers. After this, entries were made in 1831 by Jacob Holland, in 1835 by Ezekiel Bazzill, in 1830 by Mayor Powers, David Adams, George Leiber and a second entry by Jacob Holland. We find the present land owners in section 34 to be M. Mansfield, W. J. Cassady, Brice Powers, William Strandling, Abner Keplinger and John Williams. The section has four miles of public highway, one and a half miles of which is free pike. Ft. Wayne branch of the L. E. & W. railroad crosses the east part of this section.
The first land entry in section 35 was made by Thomas Reeves on March 28, 1829, and was the east half of the northwest quarter of the section, a portion of the farm now owned by Milton Hamilton. After this entry our records show purchases by Joseph Bennett in 1829, Stephen Hamilton in 1830, Owen Russell and Jacob Holland in 1831, and Daniel Leiber in 1836. The present land owners in section 35 are Milton Hamilton, Mrs. Harriett Hamilton, B. Moore, A. A. Hamilton, Brice Powers and Abner Keplinger. The section has three miles of road, one-half mile of which is the Muncie and Granville free pike angling across the northwest corner.
Section 36 is the northeast section of the township, and consequently joins both Hamilton and Liberty townships. The first entry of public land in this section was made by Stephen Hamilton November 11, 1830, and was the 80-acre tract now owned by Thomas Gibson, after which entries were made by John Gutbrie and Archibald Dowden in 1835,Truman Conklin in 1836, and Thomas Albin in 1837. The section has a public road on the north and also on the south line. Section 36 is now owned by John McCormick, J. E Reed, S. Holdt J. Cullen, C. Kauffman, Thomas Gibson, J. S. McGalliard, E. H. Holt, and T. Pacy.
All of section 1 in Center township remained unsold by the government until June 1, 1835, when Benjamin Goodin purchased two tracts, being the north fractional half of the section. The next purchaser was Penelope Anthony on May 12, 1836. The three remaining 80-acre tracts were entered by Dr. George W. Garst on June 18, 1836. The present owners of land in section 1 are J. S. McGal liard, A. J. McGalliard, W. F. Holbert, S. A. Richison, J. Priest, E. Priest, L. Shirey and R. Jones. The section has public roads on the north, south and west lines, that on the south being the Centennial free gravel pike. The L. E. & W. railroad angles across this section.
Joseph Bennett was the first purchaser of public land in section 2. The date of his purchase was November 24, 1831, and his purchase was the fractional northwest quarter, containing 95 68-100 acres. William Helvie entered the east half of the section in 1835 and 1836, and James Sears the southwest quarter June 1, 1835. The present owners of section 2 are W. Hibbitts, E. D. Keplinger, I. E. Crews estate, T. Wilson, W. S. Wilson, J. H. Smell, T. R. Buffington, and W. McMahan. Two has public roads on the north, south and east, that on the south line being the Centennial free pike, and school No. 1 is located on the southeast corner of the section.
The first entry in section 3 was made March 26, 1829, by Joseph Bennett, and was the fractional northeast quarter, 95 35-100 acres. Then followed the purchases of Owen Russell, December 7, 1829; James Howell, February 4, 1833; David Brooks Buckles, October 16, 1835, and William H. Brum field, December 14, 1835. A portion of this section is now platted and a part of the suburb of the city of Muncie, known as Northview, the balance or unplatted part being owned by E. D. Keplinger, Samuel U. Huffer, B. W. Bennett, John Williams, W. Car son, M. E. Streeter, H. W. Streeter, and S. R. Streeter. The Granville pike angles across this section, and the Central pike forms the west line.
Aaron Taft was the first party to enter land in section 4, which entry was dated November 16, 1832. This entry comprised the southeast quarter of the southwest quarter (40 acres). The next entry was that of Abraham Buckles, father of the late Judge Joseph S. Buckles, deceased. This entry was made June 14, 1833, and comprised the fractional southeast quarter, containing 136 12-100 acres. After this other entries were made by John Buckles and John Blackford in 1833; William Diltz and Thomas Gustin in 1834, and William Diltz again in 1835. The section is owned at present by Simon Conn, Carson and Meeks, M. A. Marsh, C. H. Anthony, E. Lindsley, C. B. Campbell, L. Cowing, R. G. Anthony, Delaware County Fair Association, and William F. Watson. The Central pike is the east line. There is a public road on the greater part of both the north and south line, and the Wheeling pike angles through the section, while school No. 2 is located on the northeast corner.
The first entry of land in section 5 was made on February 4, 1833, by Pete Nolin. This was the south half of the southeast quarter (80 acres), and now owned by C H. Anthony and William F. Watson. After this entry by Mr. Nolin, others were made by Thomas Kirby, and Charles Francis Willard, jointly, in 1833; James Nottingham in 1834; John Collins, Janes Nottingham, John Buckles and Peter Shanks in 1835, and John Sutherland in 1836. The land owners in section 5 are now William F. Watson, James McClellan, C. H. Anthony, James Huffman, A. Anderson, and S. A Pierce. The section has over two miles of public road, more than half of which is free pike. School No. 3 is located at the west center of the section.
The first land entered in section 6, in Center township, was a 40 acre tract in the northeast corner of the section and now in the name of A. Anderson. This entry was made on the 18th day of March, 1833, jointly by Thomas Kirby and Charles Francis Willard. After this, entries were made by William Beatty, Dec. 18, 1833, Peter Shanks, Thomas J. Collins and Nathan Stansberry, in 1835, and Thomas C. Anthony in 1836. The present owners of the section are A. Andrews, S. Hathaway, S. A. Pierce, E. A. McKinley, G. S. Wilson, E. O. Weir, Joseph S. Buckles heirs, and Thos. Weir, Jr. The section has about 2¼ miles of public road, one-half of which is the Bethel free gravel pike which crosses the northeast corner of the section.
Land in section 7 was first purchased on the 22nd day of April, 1831, by Isaiah E. Beck, being the east half of the northeast quarter, containing 80 acres. The second entry was made in 1832 by George Shafer, this was an 80 acre tract lying immediately south of the purchase of Mr. Beck. Following this, entries were made by Nathan Stansberry and William Nottingham in 1833, Isaac White and Thomas Collins in 1834 and by John Henderson Collins and Jeremiah Howell in 1835. The section is owned at present by S. A Pierce, J. W. McKinley, The Kimberlin Mfg. Co., Joseph S. Buckles' heirs, John W. Shafer, Joseph Stradling, and James E. Eber. The section has nearly 3 miles of public road, much of it being free pike The L. E. & W. railroad angles across the southern portion of the section.
On the 24th day of July, 1830, Jacob Calvert purchased land of the government just west of White river, containing 160 acres, 80 acres of which was in section 8, and was the first entry made in the section, it being the east half of the southeast quarter and now being entirely in the town of Westside and lying on the north side of Jackson street pike. After Mr. Calvert's entry, the next in this section was that of John, William, James and Mayor Nottingham, Oct. 14, 1830, Joseph Williamson, Nov. 27, 1830, Isaac E. Beck, April 22, 1831, George Shafer, July 2, 1832, Joseph Emmerson, Nov. 3, 1832, Joseph Willlamson again Nov. 30, 1832, Elijah Reeves, Oct. 18, 1833, and Joseph Williamson his third entry, Nov. 19th, 1835. At present the section outside of what has been platted is owned by J. Munsey, L. Shick, M. A. Mills and J. W. McKinley. Three-fourths of this section has been platted and is within the boundry of the new town of Normal City. The Normal College being located in this section, also the Westside school, and we predict that the south half of section 8 is soon to become an important adjunct to the city and county.
Almost three-eights of section 9 was included in the Hackley reserve and was purchased bv Goldsmith C. Gilbert prior to the purchase of any government land in this section by individuals. The first entry made in the section was a part of the southeast quarter, (58 and 62-100 acres) by Elemuel Jackson, Feb. 13, 1827. Next was 36 and 43-100 acres in the northeast quarter by Conrad Mutter Oct. 12, 1829. Aside from these two purchases, all the balance of the east half of section 9 was included in the reserve. The west half of the section was entered by four parties each securing an 80-acre tract, as follows: Philip Mose, the east half of the southwest quarter (the Jackson street bridge over White river west of the city is located near the southwest corner of the tract) Jacob Calvert the west half of the southwest quarter July 24, 1830. John Nottingham the west half of the northwest quarter, Oct. 14, 1830, and Samuel Merrill the east half of the northwest quarter Dec. 16, 1831. With the exception of 77 acres owned by L. Shick and sixty-two acres by the heirs of Jacob Calvert (the original purchaser), section 9 is all platted as suburban additions to the city of Muncie. The Delaware county court house is in this section (9) near the southeast corner of Walnut and Jackson street.
All of section l0 was included in the Hackley reserve except 113 and 55-100 acres in the southeast quarter entered by William Blynk, Sr., Oct. 2, 1826, 27 and 64-100 acres in the southwest quarter by William Brown June 13, 1827, and 103 and 84-100 acres in the northeast quarter by James Howell June 1, 1833. The section lies entirely within the boundry of the city of Muncie, and the suburbs of Whitely and Northview.
The first land entry in section 11, was made Oct. 8, 1827, by John Trimble. This purchase was the west half of the southwest quarter 80 acres. The L. E. & W. railroad crosses White river east of the city on the southern part of this tract. The other original purchasers of government land in section 11, were Elijah Casteel in 1831, Elijah Walden in 1832, Moses Wilson in 1833, Thomas Kirby and Charles Francis Willard in 1834 and Moses Wilson, George Howell, Jesse Bracken and Elijah Walden in 1835. Aside from about one-hundred acres in the northwest part of the section, platted and within the boundary of Whitely, the section is now owued by T. Wilson, G. Haney. E. Austin, Austin B. Claypool, James Boyce, A. Patton, N. S, Smith et al and J. Maring. A number of important factories are located on this section and the suburb of Boycetown is in the southern portion.
Section 12 is on the east side of Center township, the third tier from the north, and joins Liberty and was all purchased of the government in the years 1835 and 1836. The first to buy land was Jesse Bracken, 40 acres in the southwest corner of the township, on January 9, 1835. After which entries were made by Michael Sills, Dan Sills and George Howell in 1835 and by Aesop Gilbert and Archibold Dowden in 1836. Present owners in 12 are C. W. Linsey, A. Rodgets, Thomas Wilson, J. M. Watt and Austin B. Claypool, Mr. Claypool owning the entire south half of the section and an 80-acre tract adjoining, in section 11. The section has over 3 miles of public road, the north line being the Centennial free pike.
The public domain in section 13 was in the market nearly ten years, as the first entry was dated December 7, 1826, made by George Truitt. This was the west half of the northwest quarter, 80 acres. And the last entry was the southwest quarter (160 acres) made by Lewis Moore, August 14, 1839. Between these entries, purchases were made by John Moore in 1831, Lewis Moore and John Moore in 1833, James Blackford and Michael Sills in 1835, and James Blackford again in 1836. Section 13 is now owned by Catharine Meeker, L. F. Fender, M. Moore, S. E. L. Truitt, M. and E. Butterfield, Parker Moore and P. W. Franklin. White river crosses the southwest corner of the section, as also does the Muncie and Burlington free pike. The Smithfield free pike forms the south line and the Big Four railroad crosses the north end of the section.
On June 23, 1827, John Brown purchased of the government the west half of the northwest quarter of section 14, (80 acres) after which entries were made by Solomon Hobaugh in 1828, George Truitt and Elijah Reeves in 1829, Littleton Dowty and James Franklin in 1831, James Barton Eastburn in 1832, and Joseph Walling in 1834. More than one-half of this section is now platted and sold in small parcels to various owners too numerous to be here mentioned. But the larger tracts are owned by S. E. L. Truitt, G. and V. Palmer, O. L. Meeks, John Luicks heirs and G. Hughes. School No. 5 is located at the east line of the section, one-fourth of a mile north of the southeast corner on the north side of the Muncie and Burlington pike. The city of Muncie water works company have their machinery and wells on the southeast quarter, near White river, which angles across the southeast, northeast and northwest quarter of this section.
The first land entry in section 15 was made by William Brown and was the west half of the northwest quarter (80 acres). This entry was made on June 13, 1827. The northwest corner of this tract is at the corner of Walnut and Jackson Streets. The next entry in section 15 was the east half of the northeast quarter on August 24, 1829, by James Murphy. Two days later, August 26, 1829, James Thompson entered the west half of the northeast quarter. June 11, 183O, Jonathan Reeder entered the east half of the northwest quarter, August 10, 1831. Samuel P. Anthony entered the west half of the southwest quarter on August 19, 1831. September 13, 1831, James Franklin entered the east half of the southeast quarter. June 9, 1832, Daniel Thompson purchased of the government the east half the southwest quarter; and January 5, 1833, William Clary entered the last of the government land in section 15, which was the west half of the southeast quarter. Fifteen is now all within the corporate limits of the city of Muncie.
Section 16, as in all other townships, was donated by the government to Center township for school purposes. This section lies south of Jackson and west of Walnut streets, having its northeast corner at the crossing of these streets. The commissioners who were empowered to do so, sold the section on April 12, 1830, to the highest bidders. David Gharkey was the largest purchaser, he buying one tract in the northwest quarter of 135 and 25-100 acres for $500.38. Samuel G. Jackson bought 28 and 50-100 acres in the same quarter for $116.56. Other parcels were sold as follows: Lots 14, 5 and 11-100 acres to David Gharkey for $51.15; lot 15, 9 and 45-100 to same for $94.59; lot 26, 12 and 54-100 acres to same for $28.34; lot 27, 21 and 56-100 acres to same for $40.53; lot 1, 39 and 24-100 acres to Thomas Galyon for $49.05; lot 2, 41 acres to James Jackson for $51.25; lot 3, 40 acres to Samuel Jackson for $50.00; lot 4, 40 and 25-100 acres to same for $50.31; lot 5, 40 and 75-100 acres to Peter Nolin for $107.17¼ ; lot 6, 40 acres to David Gharkey for $60.00; lot 7, 41 acres to same for $61.50; lot 8, 39 and 24-100 acres to M. Buck for $58.86; lot 16, 3 and 44-100 acres to James Hodge for $16.37½ ; lot 17, 3 and 33 1-3 acres to James Murphy for $13.48½ ; lot 28, 3 and 34-100 acres to same for $16.28½ ; lot 19, 3 and 54-100 acres to Ezekiel Jewell for $15.93; lot 20, 3 and 93-100 acres to William Fitzpatrick for $17.17¼ ; lot 21, 3 and 92-100 acres to Joseph A. Vestal for $23.52; lot 22, 9 and 71-100 acres to John Marshall for $38.84; lot 23, 6 and 82-100 acres to Abner Smith for $20.66½ ; lot 24, 6 and 82-100 acres to I. Edwards for $20.46; lot 25, 6 and 82-100 acres to James Hodge for $13.64; lot 28, 21 and 56-100 acres to David Gharkey for $53.12½ ; lot 29, 24 and 83-100 acres to William Fitzpatrick for $55.86¾. This left only the strip of land extending from Jackson to Adams streets and six blocks beginning at Walnut and running west to Gharkey street. This strip was laid out in six blocks, numbered from one to six consecutively, these were sub-divided into lots, eight to the block, making each lot 62½ by 125 feet. Section 16 is all inside the Muncie city limits. White river crosses the northwest corner of the section.
Block No. 1 is that portion of ground surrounded by Walnut, Adams, High and Jackson streets. Lots 1, 2, 3 and 4 front on Jackson, beginning at Walnut, conseqnently lot 1 in block 1 is on the corner of Walnut and Jackson streets, 62½ feet on Jackson and 125 on Walnut. This lot was sold to Joel Russell for twenty dollars and was the highest priced lot in the block. Thomas C. Anthony bought lot No. 2, where Turner's saloon and Dr. Morin's barber shop is located for seven dollars. Lots No 5 and 6, the corner now owned and occupied by Dr. Kemper (one-fourth of the block) was sold to Samuel W. Harland for six dollars each $12 for two lots. The corner now owned and occupied by the Misses Calvert was sold to William VanMatte for nine dollars, while that part west of the alley now occupied by Mr. McNaughton and W. H. Moreland as residences was sold to Samuel W. Harland for seven dollars, and the corner lot owned by Mr. Kerwood to the same person for eight dollars. The quarter of this block now occupied by the High street M. E. church and parsonage was sold to William VanMatre for eleven dollars, the one bringing five and the other six dollars. D. Thompson bought the two lots now owned by Henry Klein on the corner of Jackson and Liberty streets for fifteen dollars. D.W. Lyons purchased the lot where C. B. Templar's residence stands for eight dollars, and the one joining it on the west extending to the alley, for seven dollars. David Gharkey bought the west half of block six, extending from the corner of Jackson and Gharkey streets south to Adams street and east to the first alley, for twelve dollars. And all this was only about sixty-nine years ago.
April 25, 1829, Isaac Fielder entered the east half of the southeast quarter of section 17; (80 acres). The next entry was made by Levi Bishop, March 20, 1830, when he entered the entire southwest quarter of the section (140 acres) during the same year (1830) entries were made by David Gharkey, John Collins, James and John McKee and in 1832 by George Calvert. Most of this section is now platted and within the limits of the city or suburbs. However there are still some outlying tracts; these are owned by H. C. Keesling, J. A. Umbarger and D. Kinney.
Under article 7 of the treaty made with the Indians at St. Marys, O., October 5, 1818, Goldsmith C. Gilbert secured the fractional southwest quarter (149 and 59.100 acres) and the southeast quarter (160 acres) of section 18; this included the entire south half of the section. Entries were afterward made in 18 through the land office by Thomas Collins in 1829, John McKee in 1830, Levi Bishop in I831, Thomas Collins again in 1834 and Morgan Johns in 1835. The section lies just west of the city of Muncie on both sides of White river which pretty evenly divides it, and is owned by J. A. Umbarger, Joseph Stradling, H. Stephens, A. Humes, J. J. Warfel, Consumers Paper Company, D. Kinney, J. B. Scott and T. J. Williamson.
May 26, 1831, Jeremiah A. Wilson purchased of the government the fractional west half of the southwest quarter of section 19, containing 74 acres. After Mr. Wilson came William Briggs and John Tomlinson in 1832, Asher Storer in 1833, Abner Perdieu in 1834, Thomas Bishop, Absolem Perdieu and Joseph Yount in 1835. The present owners of section 19 are J. B. Scott, T. J. Williamson, M. Perdieu, A. Yingling, S. and R. Martin, J. Perdieu, John Castle, William Y. Williams, M. and S. Martin, C. and M. Huffer and W. and B. Wilson. The section has three miles of public road and Buck creek crosses the southeast corner of the section in a southwest direction.
On October 25, 1831, William McConnell entered the east half of the northeast quarter of section 20 (80 acres). On the same day, John MeConnell, Jr., entered the west half of this quarter, making 160 acres in the two entries. John, the eldest son of Wm. McConnell, still owns the north part of this tract. A portion of it, however, has been platted as a suburb of the city. Other settlers followed Mr. McConnell, and entries of land were made in section 20 by William Y. Williams, in 1832; Samuel and Asher Storer in 1833; Daniel Wilson and John McConnell in 1834; William McConnell again in 1835, and Charles Storer in 1836. Aside from the portion of section 20 above mentioned as being platted, the land is now owned by John McConnell, J. A. Miller, H. C. Keesling, C. Witt, John W. Wilson, M. West and F. Hines. The section has over four miles of public road, including the Muncie and Middletown free pike, which crosses the southeast portion of the section, and school number 10 is located on this pike in the northwest part of the southeast quarter. Buck creek crosses the north half of the section in a generally west course.
The first entry of public land in section 21 was made by Job Garner on November 5, 1831. This was the east half of the southeast quarter, (80 acres.) The south half of this tract is now owned by ex-Sheriff John W. Dungan. The next entries are of Benjamin Irwin Blythe, James Garner, Daniel Cline and Asher Storer in 1832 and William Clary, Samuel Storerand David Storer in 1833. The north part of the section is platted and much of it improved, being a portion of Avondale, a suburb of Muncie. Other lands in the section are owned by the Muncie Land Company, J. Stewart, S. Campbell, G. Bowers, M. D. Witt, John Dungan, John W. Wilson and The Muncie Pulp Company, who have their extensive mills in the south-eastern portion of the section. Another large manufacturing interest carried on in section 21 is that of the Muncie Steel Works which is located near the half section line on the east side of the section and west side of Walnut street, which forms the east line of the section.
Isaac Tilden was the first purchaser of land in section 22 his entry bears the date of July 8, 1830, and was the west half of the northwest quarter having its northwest corner at the present crossing of Homer avenue and Walnut street. After this, entries were made by Pairpoint Blowers in 1830, Daniel Thompson in 1831, Anderson Redman in 1832 and by Oliver H. Smith and George Thompson in 1835. The section with the exception of 60 acres in the southeast corner belonging to George Luick is all platted and mostly in the suberb of Congerville.
Section 23 was all purchased of the government during the years of 1835 and '36. The first of these entries was made by Thomas Kirby on July 21, 1835. This was the west half of the northwest quarter, following the purchase of Mr. Kirby were those of Joseph Jackson, Oliver H. Smith, Stewart Boltin and George Thompson in 1835 and Joseph Johnson, Henry Henkle and Oliver H. Smith in 1836. The present owners (others than those owning in the northwest quarter which is all in the town platt) are P. W. Franklin, Muncie Land Company, M. Kurp, W. H. Luick, C. Luick, L. Detrick, C. Heath, J. Heation, J. Mock and George Luick.
Section 24 is on the east side of the township, and joins Liberty. The first entry of land in this section was made on the 3rd of October 1827 by Charles Stout. It was the east half of the northwest quarter 80 acres. White river runs through this tract near the center in almost a due north direction James Jackson entered an 80 in the section Dec. 7 of the same year. In 1830 (Jan. 21) Johnson King entered the east half of the southwest quarter of the section. White river runs in a north course through this tract also. After the entry of Mr. King in 1830, the next was that of John Moore, in February, 1821, then that of Lloyd Wilcoxon in November, 1831, and Joseph Dungan, James Jackson and Littleton Dowty in 1833. Section 24 is now owned by W. Ribble, William Walling's heirs, M. Leonard, W. H. Luick, P. W. Franklin, D. H. Simmons, J. L. Simmons, John Inlow, E. C. Ribble and M. V. Warner.
The first land that was ever entered in the government land office and lying in Center township was the east half of the southeast quarter of section 25, lying in the southeast corner of the township. The 8o-acre tract was entered on December 24, 1822, by James Bryson. After this, purchases in 25 were made by Henry Massburg in 1831, Samuel Simmons and Samuel Cecil, Jr., in 1832, Samuel Simmons, Samuel Cecil and Johnson King in 1834, and Littleton Dowty in 1835. The present land owners in section 25 are John Inlow, Wm. Driscoll, S. Cecil, W. H. Luick, C. Fullhart, R. A. Johnson, (assignee) O. Lenon, H. Morris, J. Reynolds, J. Hopping and C. Hopping.
Section 26 was all taken up in 1834, '35 and '36, by Wm. Heaton in 1834, Littleton Dowty, Henry Massburg and Samuel Moore in 1835, and William Fowler, James Homan, Arthur Morrison, Henry Keys, Thomas C. Anthony, Samuel Heaton, Robert Gibson and Daniel Heaton in 1836. Twenty-six is owned at present by W. H. Luick, J. H. Huffman, R. Walburn, W. Heaton, Cox & Brown, Lewis Rees, H. C. Parkison, F. W. Ross, A. Whitney and L. Ross and heirs. The section has 3½ miles of public road, one mile being free pike, and school No. 6 is located on the northwest quarter of the section.
Pairpoint Blowers and Thomas Goble were the pioneer land owners in section 27, their entries dating back to 1830. In 1832, Charles Mansfield entered two 8o-acre tracts. In 1833 there were two entries made by James Mansfield, in 1834 one by Anda Gibson and in 1836 the remainder of the public lands were taken up by Wm. Kiger and Thomas C. Anthony. The section is now owned by Lewis Rees, G. W. Carmichael, B. A. Rees, E. Postal, E. and L. Postal, O. A. McConnell and S. and A. Postal. The section has three miles of public road, one mile of which is the Walnut street free pike. The southwest and west part of the section is drained by Buck Creek.
In section 28 entries of public lands were made as follows: In 1831 by John Brown; in 1832 by Charles Mansfield; in 1833 by James Mansfield, and in 1835 by Wm. H. Brumfield, Wm. Chipman, Oliver H Smith and Elizabeth Brumfield. The present owners of this section are W. A. Haymond, John R. Hines, John W. Wilson, John McConnell, Thomas J. Fuson, A. McKinney, J. N. Shaw and J. F. Carpenter. The Cincinnati Division of the L. E. W. Railroad crosses the east part of the section.
Section 29 Was taken up in 1835 and '36 by Oliver H. Smith and Arnold, Naudine, Edward, Tatuall and Merritt Canby (in 1835 and 1836) and William Y. Williams in 1835, and by Thomas Brumfield, John Brooks and David Storer in 1836. At present the land owners in section 29 are John W. Wilson, I. B. Barrett, G. L. Lenon, C. E. Armintage, W. A. Reynolds, A. Clark, R. Carmin, O. Clark, W. Clark and William Clark.
Section 30 is the southwest corner of Center township. The first land entries of this section were in 1831 by William Finley, Jeremiah A. Wilson and Jesse McKinney. One entry in 1834 by Abner Perdieu, two in 1835 by Asher Storer and Patrick Justice, and three in 1836 by Daniel Wilson, Warren Stewart and Joseph Thomas. Section 30 is now owned by C. E. Armintage, W. Wilson, J. A. Wilson, N. F. Pittenger, E. J Pence, Farrer & Fudge, C. Coffman, E. & M. Storer, C. M. Perdieu and A. C. Perdieu.
[End of Center Township-Click NEXT for Monroe Township]
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids