Oakville, Indiana - Oakville, two miles south of Cowan, on the southern border of Delaware county, on this same railway (present L. E. & W.), was laid out as a townsite under the name of Pleasant Hill by John Holsinger on December 30, 1873. The original plat of Pleasant Hill covered a tract of 7.25 acres on the east side of the survey line of the Cincinnati, Muncie & Ft. Wayne railroad, the same covering six blocks, divided north and south by Mulberry street and east and west by North, Main, Elm and South streets. Later the name of this town was changed to Oakville, the postoffice authorities declining to accept the name of Pleasant Hill as likely to become confused with a postoffice of the name of Pleasant Mills in Adams county, and additions to the townsite have been made under the name of Oakville. On April 1, 1884, Oakville was swept by a cyclone which killed four persons and destroyed all but four houses in the town.
(Source: History of Delaware County, Indiana, Frank D. Haimbaugh, 1924, Vol 1, page 406)
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids